- 2018-11-21 On 21 November at 9:00 a.m., the Vice-Minister Neris Germanas is meeting with the new Austrian Ambassador Yvonne Toncic-Sorinj
- 2018-11-21 On 21 November at 10:00 a.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is meeting with the Kyrgyz Foreign Minister Chingiz Aidarbekov
- 2018-11-21 On 21 November at 4:30 p.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is meeting with the new Canadian Ambassador Kevin Rex
- 2018-11-22 On 22 November at 10:00 a.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is meeting with the new Austrian Ambassador Yvonne Toncic-Sorinj
- 2018-11-22 On 22 November at 1:00 p.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is taking part in the Government sitting at the Seimas
Linkevičius: Attack on Syria’s chemical weapons facilities was a necessary step towards a peaceful political solution
“It’s important to condemn the use of chemical weapons in Syria, but that is not enough. The targeted airstrikes on chemical weapons facilities of 14 April were necessary steps for encouraging the Syrian regime and its supporters to seek a political solution to the conflict,” the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Lithuania Linas Linkevičius said at the Foreign Affairs Council on 16 April in Luxembourg.
Lithuania’s Foreign Minister also noted that chemical weapons had been used many times in Syria over the past 5-6 years and the Russian veto policy had contributed to this indirectly, as it had essentially paralyzed the United Nations Security Council. Foreign Ministers emphasized that the EU must make every effort, as well as impose additional autonomous EU sanctions against the Syrian regime in order to encourage it to dispose of its own chemical weapons. In the opinion of EU Foreign Ministers, the second Conference on “Supporting the Future of Syria and the region”, which will take place on 24-25 April in Brussels, could help bring the Syrian regime to the negotiating table.
The issue of Syria was urgently included in the agenda following a suspected chemical attack in rebel-held Douma in Syria on 8 April.
For more information about the Council, please read here.